One way to lower stress is self-care, which means taking care of your physical and mental wellbeing. Sometimes people feel like self-care is selfish, but it’s not. Remember that your needs are important, too.
Benefits of self-care include:
- Lower stress
- Increase happiness
- Manage depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues
- Improve sleep
- Boost immunity
- Help you be a better caregiver for others
- Tackle the things you want and need to do
- Handle life’s ups and downs
How to practice self-care:
- Make time to unwind and do things you enjoy.
- Move your body, even with a short walk.
- Spend time outdoors.
- Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate.
- Eat healthy, balanced meals and snacks.
- Make sleep a priority.
- Avoid excessive alcohol and drug use.
- Take breaks from the news, including social media.
- Connect with others, like family, friends, neighbors, or your faith community.
- Ask for help when you need it, and accept help when it is offered.
- Talk to a mental health or behavioral health provider.