Wearing a mask is important, but it can make communication harder.
Try these tips to connect with others while wearing a mask:
- It’s okay to admit that masks make communication harder.
- Smile. Even though your mouth is covered, people can “see” and feel your smile behind the mask.
- Pay extra attention to eyebrows because the other person can’t see the rest of your face.
- Speak up, especially if you are wearing a cloth mask, which can block sound.
- Pay attention to the tone of your voice, which may sound different if you are wearing a mask.
- Choose a colorful or fun mask.
- Pin a photo to your shirt of yourself smiling or doing something interesting, to break the ice.
- Find new ways to let others know how you are feeling, since they can’t see your expression under your mask. Use things like color-coded sticky notes to let them know!
Adapted from Cleveland Clinic resources